Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can this be feasible?

That is the question I wondered to myself for a couple years. As my move came closer, I had no idea if I would be able to survive what other people love, the suburbs.

Some backstory first. I grew up in the middle of no where. In the hills of West Virginia. It was the situation where going out for bread, or ice, was a hour round trip by car. While nature is wonderful, that kind of life wasn't for me.

Then came college. Afterwords I stuck around the city of Chicago for almost a decade. There I work, there I met my wife. One of the things my wife insisted upon, and which I eventually agreed to, was living near her family. Her family, was in the suburbs. So far that some people would consider them exurbs.

We had one car, still have one car. In the city, I sold my car and used my bike as transportation almost exclusively. I was for the move from an environmental standpoint. By moving the weekend trips to my in-laws would be cut to a few miles, and my wife could work very close to home.

Chicago has a wonderful commuter train system. Since my type of work is almost always going to be downtown or by telecommute, I could use the train.

So, I've lived in Mokena for over a month, is it feasible? I think it is, if you choose the right suburb. Someone from Active Transit once told me that they considered all suburbs the same, till they started working with them. They soon found that there was a wide variety.

I think suburbs supported by good rail systems can be quite green. If they are built around strong downtowns. This, in my experience, tends to be the older suburbs. Ones establish before the idea of strip malls, large shopping centers. Before it was required to drive everywhere. This towns tend to have small streets emanating from a downtown where you can get 99% of the things you need.

It's not as easy as the city. In Chicago, I could get to every place I needed, comfortably, by bike. Down here, I will choose one grocery store over the others, based very much on where it is at. Luckily, my downtown has a nice grocer. There are benefits to the suburbs though. There is much more green space, and there is much less bike theft. I won't call it safer, cause I know the traffic fatalities even out any benefit from the lack of violent crime. It is a good feeling though knowing that with my city quality locks, it is very unlikely my bike will get stolen.

We will see what happens in the long run. I see other commuters and utility cyclists in my suburb. I think the area is ripe for a bicycle culture to spring up. Many people ride, but they don't know of others, or don't care. I know not which.

In the city advocacy is reaching diminishing returns. Out in the suburbs is the new frontier. As gas prices rise, as they are prone to do, the political will may materialize. When that occurs, we advocates must be there to promote the correct direction.

3 comments:

  1. I don't agree that advocacy in the city is reaching diminishing returns. On the contrary, I think this is an exciting time, where for the first time there actually exists a pro-bike constituency with some (albeit small) political influence.
    That said, I think your commitment to a green lifestyle, which is so much against the cultural grain in the suburbs, is great. My many years in the suburbs were an awful experience - I felt lonely and stifled. YMMV. Let's hope so. Anyway, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOKENA?!?! Egads, now you're in it.

    Good luck & keep us apprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I have two more posts coming up as soon as I get the motivation to sit down and hammer them out.

    ReplyDelete